L. Hjorth Denmark
The Hjorth Factory was located in Roenne on Bornholm, and island off Denmark, founded in 1859 . It operated until 1993 and then re-openend in 1995 as a working museum. For much of its history it was operated by descendants of Lautriz Hjorth, its original founder.
In the 1880’s Hjorth pottery was being sold in the department stores of Paris, London and Berlin, and as far away as Australia and the United States.
The image above is from “The Art Journal 1876”. The engraving is entitled “Pottery of Denmark” which “has obtained large estimation in England and is highly valued in America” quotes the notation on the page, and goes on to say “the more prominent productions of Denmark are either copies from or adaptions of the forms and ornamentation of Etruria”
The pottery is not named, but some of it is early HJORTH pottery as in the Hjorth Catalogue for 1884. Read more